Wednesday, December 12, 2012

End of semester bliss and blues

Doubts about pursuing a medical career
This Monday I took my last final for Organic Chemistry. My concentration was broken a few times by the girl sitting next to me who constantly sighed in exasperation and discouragement throughout the exam. Last year during the General Chemistry final, another girl had burst out in tears and was anxiously told to calm down by one of the TAs.

I've considered reevaluating my life. It’s easy to give up on a medical career. It’s so easy to kiss those future years of education goodbye and aim for something that’s 'easier' to attain. I can already feel how much more stress-free, happy and liberated I’ll be if I shut out medical school from my future plans.

I often complain about how difficult this process is - particularly my coursework - mostly to myself, but sometimes to friends. One of my close friends keeps me in check, reprimanding me every time another complaint leaves my mouth. She reminds me that there are people who are in way worse situations and experiencing deeper troubles, so I need to hush up and push forward. She tells me that lovingly, of course. I appreciate her candor.
 
Many have encouraged me to persevere, including my family, my advising dean, my mentors, friends, and my professors.

Pressing forward
I was in a fit of blues at the end of this semester because I felt beaten by Organic Chemistry. I worried that I was aiming too high by choosing to pursue a medical career. But my bliss comes from the encouragement of my family and friends, and my mindset and optimism that it’s not the end of the world and I will make it through.

I want to encourage every single student to FOLLOW HER DREAM until she achieves it. If you really want what you’re working towards, do NOT give up. Keep going. You are capable of attaining your goals if you truly put your mind to it. Maybe you won’t achieve it in the same way as others, and perhaps you'll have to change the course of your journey, wait longer, or encounter different barriers along the way, but you WILL get there if you keep pushing through.


"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work." -Colin Powell

Most importantly, I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13. I would not have made it as far as I have in my life if it weren't for the strength God has given me to achieve what I had achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment