Monday, January 14, 2013

Everyone comes to Antigua


Or so it feels. One of the things I value tremendously about my trip to Antigua is being able to meet people from all over the world. And within my very own homestay. People come to study Spanish, travel and tour Guatemala, volunteer, and much more. Doña Olga, my host mother, and her helpers (empleadas), tend to everyone in the house and to people who rent out the apartments behind the main house.

I met a few volunteers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Virginia, New York, Colorado, and California, a ton from Canada (Quebec and Montreal), one woman who was born and raised in Germany but is now living in Nova Scotia, a French couple, one British woman, another from Wales, one guy from Sweden who speaks about 7 different languages, and one woman who is Guatemalan but lived in Australia for a number of years where she raised her kids.

I'm honored to become acquainted with such a diverse group of brilliant people.

No comments:

Post a Comment